MINISTRY OF PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT
JOB TITLE: LEGAL OFFICER II
The incumbent is required to perform professional legal work in a Ministry/Department. Duties include appearing in court, providing legal advice and opinions, and drafting legal documents on matters involving the Ministry/Department. Depending on assignment, the incumbent may be required to perform some or the full range of the duties of the position.
REPORTS TO: Senior Legal Officer or designated officer
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO: NA
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents the Ministry/Department in court and before tribunals.
- Advises on legal issues relating to the administration, interpretation and enforcement of laws relative to the Ministry’s/Department’s operations.
- Drafts complex legal documents including contracts, leases and agreements.
- Provides legal opinions and briefs in respect of complex legal issues.
- Prepares instructions for submission to state central legal agencies on legal matters involving the state.
- Performs court cases preparation work such as interviewing witnesses, taking depositions and preparing pre-trials briefs and draft pleadings for filing.
- Assists in planning, directing, coordinating and formulating legal policies and programmes of the Ministry/Department.
- Conducts research and analysis, and reports on legal matters pertinent to the Ministry’s/Department’s operation.
- Conducts or participates in negotiations/consultations with external/internal parties.
- Participates in or conducts the review of existing legislation, rules and regulations related to the Ministry/Department and recommends/drafts appropriate amendments.
- Represents the Ministry/Department on committees and meetings and other fora.
- Prepares Cabinet/Ministerial Notes, memoranda, letters and other documents on legal matters.
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the Laws of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations pertinent to the Ministry’s/Department’s operations.
- Knowledge of legal drafting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of legal research skills and techniques.
- Knowledge of the court procedures and practices and of rules of evidence.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in drafting legal documents/instruments.
- Skill in negotiation and mediation.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to analyse and interpret laws and legal issues.
- Ability to present and explain statements of fact and the law, and to argue clearly and logically, orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and members of the public.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience as a practicing Attorney at law.
- Bachelor of Law Degree from a recognised institution.
- Legal Education Certificate or equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Admission to practice law in Trinidad and Tobago.
DEADLINE for APPLICATIONS: TUESDAY APRIL 13, 2021
Only hard copies of applications, accompanied by Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates will be acknowledged. These should be submitted by the deadline date and addressed to:
THE PERMANENT SECRETARY
MINISTRY OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
ATTENTION: DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
4TH FLOOR, CAPITAL PLAZA, 11-13 FREDERICK STREET,
PORT OF SPAIN.