Interested persons are requested to submit their hard copy applications: cover letter, Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates no later than Friday 18th October , 2019:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Planning and Development Attention: Director,
Human Resources 4th Floor, Capital Plaza
11-13 Frederick Street Port-of-Spain
JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR, BASEL CONVENTION REGIONAL CENTRE FOR TRAINING AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER FOR THE CARIBBEAN REGION
The Director is responsible for directing and coordinating the implementation of activities and administration of the Basel Convention Regional Centre for Training and Technology Transfer for the Caribbean Region, in accordance with policies and decisions adopted by the Centre’s Steering Committee and Basel Convention Conference of the Parties, consistent with the .Basel Convention (Regional Centre for Training and Technology Transfer) Act.
REPORTS TO: Permanent Secretary
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO: Staff of the Centre
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Administers the Centre and its programmes with a view to ensuring that the Centre performs its regional role in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Basel Convention and related decisions of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention, as well as the Framework Agreement establishing the Centre;
• Prepares a Business Plan of the Centre for submission to the Steering Committee for its review and endorsement;
• Serves as Secretary to the Steering Committee;
• Reports on the implementation of the activities in the Business Plan to the Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention through the Secretariat;
• Appoints staff, consultants and experts of the Centre, in accordance with the provisions of Basel Convention (Regional Centre for Training and Technology Transfer) Act;
• Supervises and provides guidance to the staff of the Centre;
• Develops and implements strategies to ensure the appropriate funding for programmes and institutional activities of the Centre, relevant to its regional role;
• Arranges all matters relating to the preparation and publication of materials produced by the Centre, having in view the objectives of the Centre and its regional role;
• Performs such other duties as may be required pursuant to relevant decisions of the Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Working knowledge of the objective, provisions and obligations of the waste and chemical related multilateral environmental agreements, with particular reference to, the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal;
• Working knowledge of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants and the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade;
• Working knowledge of existing National Policies, Legislation, Rules and regulations of Trinidad and Tobago pertaining to waste and chemical management;
• Knowledge of national policies, legislation, rules and regulations of other regional countries served by the Centre;
• Knowledge of Government of Trinidad and Tobago financial regulations and its procedures including the preparation of Estimates of Expenditure (Recurrent and Capital);
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to analyse data, identify potential problems and make appropriate recommendations;
• Demonstrated competence in preparing and managing projects of a complex nature involving multiple and different stakeholders
• Ability to Administrate, Plan and Budget effectively;
• Demonstrated strategic planning and leadership skills;
• Ability to lead and supervise a team of professionals, technical and support staff;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
• Possession of excellent report writing skills including proficiency in developing project proposals;
• Computer literate with project management skills;
• Experience in managing national, regional or international capacity building programmes.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
• Post Graduate Qualifications in Environmental Management, Chemistry, Engineering, Waste Management or related discipline. Training in International Relations would be an asset.
• A minimum of five (5) years senior managerial experience in managing projects, staff and budgets.
• Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.